Thursday, January 20, 2011

January 20,2011

Yep I was right another snow day. Only this time at 5 am when I looked outside there was no snow to be seen. I was in trouble, I told Sam to go to bed and she could work on her homework tomorrow because the news had just said there would be 4 inches of snow in the morning.
I turned on the TV and guess what it had the School canceled alert on. What, Why, there is no snow. Only in Evansville Indiana do we close school because there might be a snow storm.
Just so you know it is now 8:30am and the snow is coming down.
But this has made me stop and think about My Life. I grew up in Providence Utah. It is a small town out side of Logan Utah and if you still don't know it is about as far North as you can go in Utah without going into Idaho. My Mother has lived there all her life and her Mother and Father.
My Father grew up in California, Arizona, and then in high school moved to Utah. So much of my life I only knew about or heard about Utah. I never thought I would ever move away. But my moving has been a blessing. It has been fun to see that everything is not just like Utah. Everyone does things different. Here are a few examples of what I am talking about.
I think in Utah I can remember 2 times that school was closed because of snow. In the winter...it snows everyday. Here we close school because it might snow
In Iowa you take all snow clothes to school and unless it is below zero you go to recess. Here we only go out for recess if it is between 50-80' and not raining or snowing or even blowing.
Did you know that there are places where they cancel church for the weather? Not in Utah...
Here spring really comes before or around Easter.....not in May.
Rivers really are wide enough that you can't swim across them....rivers I saw growing up I could run across.
Rain storms.......I never knew it could rain so hard. It really can flood in a matter of hours. You can be out playing in the sun and in a matter of minutes it can change and you can be in a down pour.
Thunder and Lighting storms really do hurt your eyes and last hours.
Corn fields really do go for miles and miles and miles.
You can plant a garden in March....not Memorial Day weekend.
You can go trick or treating without a coat.
That is all I can think of. I will keep this post going. If you are from Utah and have moved away feel free to add your thoughts on the world VS Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment