Sunday, January 30, 2011

January 30, 2011......thoughts

I have had many thoughts going through my mind the past week. I only wish that I could put them into words so that more than just me could understand them. I don't have the gift for writing or even speaking I know what I want to say but I can never get it to come out the right way. O-well here goes nothing. I am sure there is only a few if anyone that read this.
I have thought a lot about my BIG family the past week. I am the mother of 5 children, I think nothing of it. I choose to have everyone of them. I take care of them and provide for them. Well I say I, I mean Russ and I. I have had a few experiences in the past month were I have been asked about my choice to have many children. I have had been lectured about birth control even offered it at the grocery store. My kids get comments from teachers, friends and even neighbors. But the bottom line is this my friends....I choice to have these kids and no one else. I am their mother 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the rest of my life. So when the rest of the world looks at me like I am crazy, well let them look. I am happy at that is all that matters.
My neighbor, a man in his late 40's told me a story the other day. He and his wife have never had children, she has one daughter from her first marriage. When we first moved in 3 1/2 years ago he come over and said to Russ, from Utah? ( I guess he saw our license plates) Russ said yes! How many kids do you have, we have 4. That was all he asked. Well he was the first one to my door when he got our Christmas card announcing baby number 5 was on it's way.
Here is his story, he told me how when we first moved in the whole neighborhood thought it was the worst ever. A HUGE family from Utah(probably mormons) was moving in. They were not happy about it. That would mean kids running ever where, a trashy house and yard and no means of control anywhere. He said that he has talked to many of our neighbors and that is not what people think anymore. When we thought we were moving all of our neighbors were sad. They would miss our family. He would miss our family. He told me how I had a sense of peace about me and so did my children. He said your home is always neat and clean and every time I come in there is a feeling of peace and happiness. He then said I just can't put my finger on it but you are different I have never meat anyone like you.
Hum...I thought if only the rest of the people that look at me with my 5 kids could see what he was able to see over the past few years. Well some do! Samantha's 5th grade teacher ( a very mean lady) told me at the end of the year that she enjoyed having Samantha in her class. She said that if all of my children were like Samantha to keep them coming she would teach everyone of them.
My other thought has been about putting on the whole armor of God. This has come to my mind because of Russ. I asked him if I would tell him our family night topic a week ahead if he could write to the kids his feeling about it. This way they could hear from Russ even if he was not here. This week our family topic is on Honesty. I gave the topic to Russ and Sam is doing Family Night. Here is what I got back from Russ.

Devotional Message: This is a hard time

The 27th section of the Doctrine and Covenants is one of my favorites. There are three or four major messages wrapped up in the one small scripture. It was given a short two months after the Church was organized and the Prophet Joseph was struggling with multiple difficult issues. Many of us know this scripture as the one designating water to be used in the sacrament or as one of the most explicit “whole armor of God” scriptures. But if you read the whole story written here there is a wonderful message that applies directly to us here in Afghanistan.

The Prophet is hurrying off to get wine for a sacrament service they are about to hold when the Lord tells him to stop. He gives him new directions for the sacrament but also warns him that he must be very careful because he is going through difficult times. He tells him not to worry that there will be good times ahead. He then tells him that right now he needs him to do some hard and difficult things and that he must put on the whole armor of God to protect himself and serve.

You are in Afghanistan now and serving your family, country and God. You are doing what you have been called to do. Good times will come in the future, but not right now. This is a hard time, which you have been called to go through, both physically and spiritually. You are facing many enemies, both physical and spiritual, but they must be fought and overcome.

I can bear testimony to you that as with the Prophet Joseph, our Heavenly Father knows you have been called to this work and he knows the magnitude of the calling. He knows who you are. He knows your name. He knows what is in your heart. He knows your worries and fears. He loves you and is grateful for your sacrifice. He knows what it means to put on the whole armor of God and the courage it takes. He knows what it means to be a service member here and the courage it takes everyday to face your challenges.

He will help you. He will hear and answer your prayers. He will be with you as you struggle with each of the challenges we must accomplish here. You can talk to him by praying and you can listen to him by reading your scriptures. And when you have finished your work here, there will a joyful time when you can again rejoin your family and live in the blessed light of our Savior.

May each of us go forward this week with the sure knowledge that we have been called to a difficult time in our lives, but that it is a calling the Lord knows we can accomplish. He will live up to his promise. If we do our best and complete the tasks he has given us, better times are coming. But those better times can only come if we complete to tasks he has set for us to do.

As a District Presidency we pray and worry about each of you everyday. May the Lord bless and keep you through this week. Know that we love you and are here to serve you.

N. Winn Noyes
First Counselor

Russ went on in his own words about how he feels that being honest is one way that we put on the whole armor. He shared some experiences with me this week of soldiers that have not been honest and that because of there choice to be dis-honest they may get kicked out of the army. I am so thankful for this message and the reminder that it is just as important to put on the Armor of God as it is to put on armor to go and fight a battle.

So there you have it a few thoughts, I have many more but the baby is crying.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of good thoughts, Amy. I know you are making good impressions on the people there. You have each place you have lived. You will be blessed for it. And the message Russ sent has a lot to think about. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete